5 Tips for Increasing Conversion in Web Content

Successful Web copywriting requires a much different approach than other forms of copywriting. Web users want their experience online to be easy and obvious. If they can't easily find what they're looking for, they'll go somewhere else. Use these five tips to keep visitors on your site and convert them into customers.

Use Clear CTAs

One of the biggest mistakes novice Web copywriters make is not telling users how to engage with the site. Web users want to be directed. Clearly tell them where to go or what action to take at every step in the user experience with simple calls to action:
  • Get a quote today
  • Click here for more
  • Sign up now
  • Join for free
  • Claim your free trial
Clear and directive CTAs lead to a better user experience on your site, and ultimately higher conversion rates.

Keep Copy Simple

A good copywriter knows how to say something in 15 words instead of 50, and that's a skill that shouldn't be undervalued in Web content writing. Online attention spans are short, and users are rarely interested in reading long blocks of copy. Instead, keep things compact and succinct. If you do need to be verbose, which can happen on educational sections of your site, break up copy into small blocks or use vertical lists to improve readability.

Track — and Act on — Analytics

If you're not testing your copy with analytics, you're missing a huge opportunity to learn from and improve your user experience (UX), and ultimately improve your conversion rates. Here are a few ways you can use analytics to improve your Web copy:
  • Identify pages with high bounce rates. You might be missing an opportunity to guide and convert users with a clear call to action (CTA).
  • Find patterns with UX mapping and reinforce the actions most users are already taking. For example, if 58 percent of users are clicking a button halfway down the page, move it to the top to improve your conversion with the other 42 percent.
  • Identify your top five landing pages and maximize copy for new users on those pages. Because of how SEO drives traffic to your site, you might be surprised to find how many users don't land on your homepage. Use this data to re-imagine the UX when a user's first stop isn't the homepage. Then, maximize your promotional and educational copy on those pages, and include strong CTAs.

Test Your Copy

Use A/B testing to determine which CTA your audience is most responsive to. A slight change from "learn more" to "get a quote" could improve your conversion rate drastically.

Work Hand in Hand With Your Web Design Team

Web content is hardly powerful when written and visual content aren't supporting each other as partners. Be sure both pieces are working together to achieve the same conversion goal. Here are some examples:
  • Place CTAs inside buttons above the fold or in sticky headers so users know to click on them early in their user experience.
  • Place longer blocks of copy in narrow columns. Users are much more likely to scan copy if their eyes don't have to work hard.
Web copy should be just one piece of a much larger Web content and overall site strategy and needs to be supported by powerful visual elements, intuitive interaction design, and optimal functionality. But when it comes to converting, copy is critical in driving users to take the actions that matter most to your business. Be sure your copy is converting users by applying these five tips. For more information or to contact us, please visit our website.

More from our team

A Faster Way Forward Starts Here